Thursday, July 14, 2011

Change.

As you can see, I have changed my blog. It was kind of difficult to do on my little netbook since the screen doesn't always show everything. Here on a desktop computer, the background shows up fully, on the netbook it just shows the sky. It's a beautiful sunset.

I think I briefly mentioned my changing our wedding colors again. Last Saturday I went to a friend's birthday party and it was beautiful out. Perfectly blue sky with a few white whispy clouds. I drove past a field. I don't know if it was wheat, corn, hay/straw or what but the color combination was absolutely breathtaking. So I decided to change our colors, again, from red to cornflower and buttercup. I ordered some color swatches to get the colors right and Tim actually helped me decide which color went best with the cornflower (out of gold, golden and buttercup). He said the buttercup goes best because it looks like the sun hitting the top of a wheatstalk. How poetically cute. :)

I was reading a thread on Wedding Buzz this morning about catering and food costs, etc. It completely boggles my mind how some people can spend thousands of dollars on just food alone! I don't know if it's because I'm not a fancy girl by any means or if it's just that I'm realistic and spending that much on food alone is unacceptable to me. Girls are spending $10,000-$40,000 + on weddings. That's either a downpayment or half of a house! Maybe it's just because I'm so used to budgeting my money for must-haves that I can't even fathom spending that much in that way. That and Tim and I are both laid back, non-partiers. Why have a huge shin-dig when nobody is going to dance and therefore probably won't stay long after dinner.

But it got me thinking. Again. My grandma and step-dad told me that they would do the food for our wedding. We'd have bbq pulled pork and baked or grilled chicken along with salt potatoes, salad, pasta salad, baked beans, etc. I do have a Bakery picked out if I decide to have it catered instead. I figured out if my family cooks, INCLUDING beverages, desserts and wine/champagne, it'll cost about $500-$600. If I decide to have it catered, it'll cost about $765 for just the food that I want, not including any beverages, desserts or wine/champagne. If we stick to our budget for the next year, I can definiately afford it. Is it worth it? Cooking for 50 people is something that my family is used to, it wouldn't be a big inconvenience for them. Having family show up between 5 and 5:30 for pictures, the food will be sitting with heaters for like an hour to an hour and a half before dinner. Having it catered, I could have it delivered at 6-6:15 but it would still be sitting with the heaters for 45 minutes to an hour before dinner, plus as our ceremony and reception are at the same place, guests might be there when it gets delivered. Is that weird? Ugh. I should be posting this on Wedding Buzz. I'm not going to get any opinions on here and even after typing it out and trying to work through it, I still can't decide.

I made a list of guests that I would invite if I wanted/could invite EVERYONE and their mother. It included Tim's family that we're not inviting and my dad's side of the family that we're not inviting and some other friends that I'm not that close with but would still like there. It was only double what our list is now. I can barely afford a 50 guest wedding, let alone a 100 guest wedding. I don't know how people do it.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I totally am in the same boat as you are. I can't justify spending over $10,000-$13,000 on a wedding.

    Our wedding was $13,000, and our honeymoon was only $1,000. To me, that was enough.

    Spending wisely or on budget doesn't mean your wedding would be better, or prettier. I've been to so many weddings. Several on budget weddings were beautiful while more "fancy" weddings were a bit gawky. So many women on Weddingbuzz thinks that they need to spend so much on their weddings to make their weddings "beautiful"...which is ridiculous.

    Love your blog background! Reminds me of Hawaii.....

    ReplyDelete