Sunday, March 20, 2011

Ahhhhh. Tons to say.

It has been a while since I've blogged and I've got A LOT to say.

First and foremost, we decided on a honeymoon location!!! Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge Tennessee. The two towns are about 20 minutes from each other, like driving to Brockport. I am so excited. We are going to rent a cabin for a week. There are so many things we can do around there. I for sure want to go to Ripley's Aquarium, including the Penguin Playhouse exhibit. I also want to go to The Salt and Pepper Shaker museum. I think it's really funny that I am even interested in that one! We also want to go on a tramride over Great Smoky Mountain National Park, and horseback ride through the park, too.

I checked out the budget again, including budgeting for the honeymoon, and I checked out my savings plan. I can have enough saved, by next July, to fully pay for the wedding by myself, including the honeymoon and STILL have about 1k left in savings! That is not including any raise, bonus, wedding help from parents, or tax returns. That is also including my sending an additional amount with my car payment to pay it off faster, and still give us extra money each month to get whatever we want or go out to eat. I feel so extremely accomplished about this!

Second, I bought a netbook on Thursday. The small keyboard is taking some getting used to, but so far I love it. Thursday was Tim's 30th birthday. He said the best part of his day was how excited I got and the look on my face, when I got the computer. I have never been an impulsive buyer, so it's shocking to me that I made this purchase. But as Tim said, it's something I've been wanting for a while now, and I had the money to do it.

Third, I've said some things lately that have apparently pissed people off. I commented on a girls status on facebook about her upcoming wedding. I made a joke about how we used to joke with her fiance that an engagement ring was a deal breaker. I said this because it's true. He's been engaged twice before but never got to the wedding. I followed that joke with questions about her wedding, stating how close it was and how excited she must be getting. Now, I can understand not really liking the first part of my comment. It wasn't exactly appropriate. But she deleted my comment.

Fourth, I replied to a thread on weddingbuzz. The thread was about how many guests, and how she could justify inviting more people. Some of the responses were "if you can afford it, invite as many as you can afford." My reply was something along the lines of "I know this sounds greedy, but if you can afford it, invite as many as you can afford and consider all the gifts you'll get!" No, weddings are not all about gifts. But if you're having a hard time justifying the number of guests you're inviting, it's certainly a way to look at it. Some girl told me that I needed to "check myself" if gifts were what made the wedding. I politely commented back that I hate asking for gifts, and that I can't even come up with a registry. PLUS, in my original reply I had mentioned that we were only inviting 50 people, our closest family and friends...how is inviting that few people indicative of my making the gifts important? If all I wanted was gifts, wouldn't I come up with the money to invite everyone and their mother so that I'd actually get more gifts? I know for a fact that I won't get much, if anything, from some of our guests because money is tight for them. That is fine. I don't expect gifts. What I expect, as my closest friends and family, is that they make an effort to be at the wedding and share our day with us (if they can't swing it because of travel I understand, but I'd be furious and hurt if the local people invited didn't show up).

This girls response to what I said made me seriously think about how many people think about my posts in that way. How many girls are offended, or irritated by what I write? Not that it really matters, I likely will not meet these girls, though I have made a few friends on weddingbuzz. But, how many people think that way in general? In real life? How many people do I encounter a day that think I am selfish, or naive, or stupid? I am none of those things. And because the shoe doesn't fit, it bothers me. I did very well in college, I am a very bright person. I may be naive about some things but I certainly have more life experience in my 21 years than most do at my age. And I am far from selfish. I couldn't tell you the last time I bought something for myself before the netbook, especially something expensive. I try my hardest to ask about other peoples days and lives, then if the topic turns to my life or my wedding plans, great! If not, no big deal. I hope that most people can see how I really am and realize that I'm a good person. There aren't many good people in this world.

ETA: Ha, I had so much to talk about that I even forgot some of it!! I saw a friend's status this morning about knowing she'd be hung over this morning. This girl is in a serious relationship. Now, it's not like they go out separately and get trashed, they go together. BUT, does that still make it okay? Isn't there a point in your life where you need to grow up? Quit partying every weekend and get your priorities and responsibilities in order? Especially with marriage. Once you're married, of course it's okay to drink now and then, and even get trashed now and then...but to go out with your spouse/significant other every weekend...doesn't that take away from time and money that should be spent on more important things? Like providing a life for yourself? Like cleaning your house, cleaning up after yourselves, going to college and doing homework, working? I just don't understand it and I doubt I ever will. Fortunately, Tim and I don't have to worry about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment